Friday, February 20, 2009

And they were the nicest little Bureau...

I finally did it. I made the plunge today to get my Indiana driver's license and to get my tags renewed in our current state of residence.

If you didn't already know this information - we have moved......alot! I have been to the DMV (or as Indiana likes to call it - the "BMV" - it's a Bureau of Motor Vehicles ya know) many, many, many times in my day to change out my picture and update my license and to put the new tags on our cars.

I always hate this. I absolutely dread going because it's always stinky. It's always crowded. You are inevitably told that you forgot something and no matter how much you planned and asked for time off from work or got babysitters for the children so you could go - you're gonna have to come back because they have decided that your passport, birth certificate, SSN card, your proof of residency, your insurance card and your current drivers license just don't seem to give them a true picture of who you really are.

Jimminy!

So, I dread it.

In the State of Indy you not only have to have police officers come to your house to inspect your cars and sign some strange forms that had to be first downloaded from the internet and printed out on your home printer, but then you have to take a WRITTEN TEST!

Yeah.

That's Right.

I felt like I was 16 all over again.

I am a very poor test taker. I was a C student on average and I cringed taking tests. I could study but the content was never fully absorbed and then when I would take the test - I would breeze through them thinking that the answers - even though I wasn't sure of their correctness - were all very logical and I had figured them out. Only to come and find out that my hunches were usually wrong and my paper was sporting something that rhymes with "C is for Cookie and that's good enough for me."

Well, today I was at least pleasantly surprised by the following attributes of this particular branch office.

It was clean.

It had a lot of people working behind the counters who also looked clean. This is not always a guarantee.

People smiled at you.

They were all extra friendly and asked me about what brought me to Indy and Welcome and How do you think you did on your test? and all of those niceties I am not used to at this place of business.

It was kind of shocking.

That and the fact that I PASSED MY WRITTEN TEST!!! Woo hoo! You can only miss 6 out of 50 (I didn't like my odds) and I only missed 5. Shew!!

After that - I thought it was smooth sailing because I had already called ahead to verify every little piece of paperwork that was needed and since I had passed the crazy test - I figured I was good to go.

Well, not so fast my pretty. For whatever random reason - only Dave is on the title for one of the cars and we are both on the title for the other one. Since he wasn't with me and he wasn't currently in their system - I HAVE TO GO BACK AND BRING THE MAN WITH ME AND DO IT AGAIN! Not the test part, just the driving there, bringing documents, Dave taking a test and blah, blah, blah.....again!

Oh I hate re-do's!

Well, it was typical in that I will have to return there to complete my task of updating my (completely expired) tags, but man - were them gals ever friendly!

Thanks Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Your not so bad!

5 comments:

Amber said...

I used to hate and dread the horrible DMV too but now they have a nice, semi clean, semi nice location closer to the house so it isn't so dreadable. Except that I always have to pay so much freaking $!

Anonymous said...

Loved hearing about your DMV/BMV story! I think we all feel the same as you do! I think the last time I didn't have cash or a check (who doesn't take credit/debit cards?) and had to load the girls back into their car seats (no babysitter for me!) and go to an ATM to get cash, drive back, unload girls, and wait back in line....only to get home and realize I did not have my cell phone...I had dropped it in the DMV parking lot! And back to the DMV we go again! :-) Yes, we all have our stories! Maybe you and David can make a date of going to the DMV together!

Julie said...

This story gives me hope. I hate going to the DMV. Last time I got there and grabbed number 47. Then the lady calls out number 14. Oh no, I'll wait until later and pay the late fee. Uggghhhh....glad you had a better experience. Sounds like they would've even watched your cuties while you dug through paperwork!

Jovanna said...

Not ALL Indiana BMVs are like that. They can be nasty. HOWEVER, Hancock County is a different story. When I moved back to this side of town, I went to the BMV and I actually thanked the women for being so nice. They were so sweet. :)

Lynn said...

Glad you passed your test! Wow, Indiana is tough!