Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Little Girl Had a Big Fall

So, tonight we are eating dinner like any old night in a too-tiny apartment with no dining room table because we are supposed to be buying a new one for our house and I didn't want to unload the big one from storage, blah, blah, blah, so we are eating dinner on our couch and using the ottoman for a table. This plan works brilliantly with a 2 year old who can't stand still and truly needs to be confined to a chair when she is eating a meal.

She started dancing and twirling while eating her meal of chicken and corn, and the next thing I know I hear screaming (I had stepped out of the room for a minute) and David calls for me to get a towel. Little girl has split her lip and their is blood pouring from her mouth.

What is with the blood pouring from this child's mouth? I can't take mouth accidents! Sheesh!!

Her lip is GAPING and we realize that stitches will be inevitable. She stopped crying fairly quickly and the blood seemed to stop too. It was still a large open wound though and we knew we needed to get to the E.R. or to an Urgent Care Clinic.

Well, Little Girl was such a trooper and she literally didn't cry one bit the rest of the night. We got to Urgent Care. Gave them our $50 and the doctor talked to her like she was his grand-daughter and asked her ever-so-sweetly to lay down on the table and, well, here's the shocker, she did it!

They said she definitely needed a couple of stitches, but after looking at it for a little while, they realized that the less traumatic approach (for both her and for us - apparently) was going to be for them to glue it back together and just skip the stitches and all the ungodly screaming that would ensue.

The sweet doctor cleaned her mouth, glued her back together and gave her instructions of what "not" to do to her boo-boo. Little Girl just kept kindly saying "O-Tay" to everything he said. Seriously - this child didn't cry. I thought I was in a twilight zone or something. We felt very blessed that the doctors were so great and so kind with her.

She is off to sleep now and she matter-of-factly told me before she went to bed that she would only bounce her finger on the OTHER side of her cheek for fun - not the one with the boo-boo.

Gotcha Little Girl. Whatever you say cutie-pie.

Anyway - The night was adventurous and we even had time to stop by our new house and see some more progress.

I have included pictures of all the fun!




Here she is all "glued back together"



Little Girl was cold and put on daddy's suit coat when we got back from the Doctor.

7 comments:

Amber said...

Poor Makenna! I would probably have cried like a baby the entire time!

Natalie K said...

poor girl...if only you giys were not mean and beat her on the lips! I loss you. I am glad to hear/read your smile is back! N

The Oswalds said...

poor thing! so happy she didn't cry anymore, doctors can be scary, especially when you are hurting already. so sweet! she will be good as new in no time, as long as she doesn't bounce her finger on that side of her mouth :o).
congrats on breaking ground!!!

Christie's Corner said...

Way to be brave, Little Girl! Carson had near the exact same injury last year. They gave him stitches, though and me, being afraid of the costs said they should try without anesthetic! What a great mom, huh? They did it and he didn't cry one bit. What troopers our kids are.

Jamie said...

She's a brave girl.

Julie said...

Oh No! Little Girl is determined to start kindergarten missing a handful of teeth! Ha! You guys need to give the mouth a rest! Poor sweetie! Excellent job being such a big girl!

Lynn said...

Bless her little girl heart!!! Don't you wish all our boo boos could be fixed with a little bit of glue? :o)