Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Spin Class is for Crazy People

I did good today girls.

I rolled out of bed, inhaled a quick and healthy breakfast (skipping the coffee - now that takes commitment) and drug happily brought my sweet Little girl to the gym with me.

I am typically a - walk on the treadmill, do a little elyptical, work out the arms or legs and maybe a few sit-ups - kinda gal, but today I ventured out.

Today I said, "a spin class might be fun." "Plus, it is supposed to burn like 450-600 calories in the 45 minute class my gym offers."

That is like half a cinnamon roll people!

Well, The class sheet listed this particular session as Beginner and Intermediate level so I figured I would be safe.

I come into the class and there are only 3 other people there. All well into their 50's at least and one of them shouts out - "hey - is this your first spin class? The teacher will be here soon and set up your bike and everything for you."

Ok.

The teacher comes in. She adjusts my bike for a short lifetime, all the while asking me to try to pedal, reach my arms out, put my foot here, and see how this feels on my tushy".

Then we get set to go. The lights go out. Fun music starts playing and she says, "ok guys - let's start in a low gear and work our way up to the top of that hill here in a minute.

All feels o.k. for about 10 seconds.

Man my bun-bones are already hurting. Is this normal?

Teacher: O.K. Let's crank it up one more gear. One more. O.k. One more gear now. Let's stand and really push it.

Me: WHAT????? HUH???

The pain was not a "feel good kind of pain" - just pain. My legs started to burn and my arms were starting to ache a bit. What am I - a big weenie? These women are nearly double my age and they are practically doing a full-on stretch routine with their arms while they are pedaling like bats out of...........a wind storm. :-)

I kept looking at my little timer on my bike and thought to myself that surely I could just hop off and slip out and no one would notice. Although as soon as that thought came to my head, I heard a shout out over the microphone "you are doing great Kara! Way to go!"

I wanted out. I wanted to run. My whole body was dying - especially my out of shape bootie and I seriously didn't think I could last the whole 30 minutes (especially since we were only about 7 minutes into it).

Well, to end your misery, I did finish the class. I did wobble off that bike and kindly thank the instructor for all her help and encouragement, and I did feel rather proud that I was, well, still alive.

That kind of torture is not natural and I will not be darkening the "cycling" door again anytime soon. The teacher suggested some cushiony biker shorts to wear if I wanted to become a "serious cycler", but I think I will just stick to my sweats, my new Jon McLaughlin t-shirt, and my Treadmill.

Thanks Spin Class, but No Thanks. :-)

7 comments:

Julie said...

I did that once (once being the key word.) I came to the conclusion that I didn't care how many calories it burned, it was horrible! Josh and I ride our mountain bikes with the boys quite often and just some advice....your "bum bones" are gonna continue to hurt for a few days. Special shorts and the best cushiony seat that money can buy doesn't help. Way to Go! Proud of Ya!

Amber said...

I so want to take a spin class! But what you just described is the reason I haven't as yet taken one....

Lynn said...

Way to go!!!

Anonymous said...

So how many calories did you burn? Enough to eat a cinnamon roll after class? :-)

Beachy Mimi said...

I did that once and had the bruises to prove it. So proud that you completed the time but I totally agree the treadmill is better for me.

The Oswalds said...

Yeah, I did it ONCE too. Everytime I am at the gym & I hear the yelling & cheering going on in the Cycling room I think to myself...I should do that class again. But then I think, Maybe not.

Alana said...

That sounds dreadful. I've never taken a spin class, I think I'd rather just ride my bike...like out of doors ;-)