Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Crafty design project for our bedroom

I have never decorated my master bedroom more than just a couple of token pictures and the hopes that the basic decor at least fell into the same color palate.

I like to put my energy into the main parts of the house like the living area, kitchen and play room since they get used by guests and the bedroom is just seen by us.

Since we moved into this house, I have elevated to purchasing a cute quilt comforter


a cute new dresser with fun accessories - well, minus the t.v. from 1991 that is the size of a dime, but anyway...... :-)


New curtains - they are lime green, but I couldn't get a good picture of them


and my latest project to dress up the blank wall over my bed involved a cute mirror and mod-podged letters with me and Dave's initials.


Isn't this cute? We are without a headboard, so this is my attempt to give it a little something of interest. I copied this idea from another decorating blog I read and they had this exact look over their master bed. I was so excited to find this mirror which looked like hers, and mine was a steal at T.J. Maxx for $16 on clearance. I bought my wooden letters for $1 something at Michael's and bought scrapbook paper that I thought would be fun for 0.86 a sheet.






After I took a picture of the whole bed and everything, I realized that I need to get new lamps (these sad ones I bought at a garage sale, but are too small and falling a part a little bit), I need to add some fluffy pillow shams to prop against the wall to fill in some of the space between the decorations, and I really would still love a headboard to add a bigger statement.


I found this home-made project online yesterday and thought I might add this to Mr. husband's list of to-do's. I have some shutters in my attic that I bought last year at a flea market and this might be kind of cute. What do you think? It would be a cheap headboard and I kind of dig it.


Also - I found the Amperstand "&" symbol at Hobby Lobby for around $6 and just spray painted it white. My paint can was cold and it spray painted it very bumpy, so I had Dave sand it down and I did it again and it was still super bumpy, but my lighting is so poor, that I don't think you can really tell anyway.

I really love how this turned out. I just need to do some more tweaking to make it look more balanced, but I feel like I am on the right track for a little nod to some Anthropologie cuteness.

Have a great Wednesday!

2 comments:

Laurie H said...

I love the headboard made from shutters! I bet that Dave can make that for you, for sure!! What color would you paint it? Love seeing your decorating fun! Thanks for sharing.

The Oswalds said...

cute stuff. & yes i love the shutter headboard.