Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sometimes I feel like a circus act

There has been a new phrase in my vocabulary since becoming a mother of 2. I know that I was keenly aware that life as a singleton (ya know - mother of 1) was something to be enjoyed and treasured since it's a once in a lifetime thing. Once more kiddos come - it's never the same. And, don't get me wrong - I love the craziness that comes with these 2 small people and I even enjoy tending to all their crazy and wild needs throughout the day no matter how hectic it gets.

I really do.

I mean it.

But, one thing that has struck me as funny or sad or crazy or dare I say even embarressing is that when people say to me now - "Hey- let's run to Target together", or "Come have lunch with us" - the feeling of "oh yeah - that would be fun and low-key - I'll get lots of girl chat time in" doesn't necessarily run through my head anymore.

My response is usually "are you sure?"

Not because my kids are extra wild or terribly difficult, it's just that there are 2 of them and only one of me.

I was at Target today and I believe I started perspiring at one point because of the chaos that was ensuing. Little Girl was hungry and I had brought her a lunch bag full of food to keep her happy on the journey. She actually had cold leftover pizza as the protein item in her lunch box and she dropped it. in the cart. face down. numerous times.

Yep - I still let her eat it.

But, I did tell her how gross that was and how many germs she just consumed.

Baby Boy started screaming about this time and needed a bottle. Oops. I didn't time this trip as great as I had hoped and things were starting to get a tad wild. I tried to keep him in the carseat and do the prop-the-bottle-thing-with-the-blanket, so that I could just casually hold it and still try to push this extremely heavy and leaning-to-one-side cart with one hand.

I tried to be graceful, however, most of the time, you would see me looking around the carseat to tell LG to pick up her pizza and then also yanking the fluffy, white, non-pizza stained Lamb hat and gloves set out of the cart that she had "borrowed" as to not soil them, and then feeding BB with the other hand, all the while using my foot to kick the cart back into the aisle since we were perpetually running into end caps left and right.

Oh - and also - LG kept asking me over and over "Have I been a good girl? Can I watch a show in the car? Am I being good now? Mommy? Mah-meeeeeeeey!!!! Am I being good? I get to watch a show! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! I get to watch a show! Right mommy? Do I get to watch a show? Am I being a good girl. Are you proud of me?"

That was SOOOO relaxing.

I think I almost laughed out loud once because I just kept thinking. What a picture we all must make. And, hey, it's not like I'm the only mom out there with 2 or more children trying to do a ginger balancing act of getting things done, keeping order, making sure all people in your cart are happy and have eaten and that they keep their hands to themselves, but I think at the time you are living it - it just sort of feels that way. Ha!

Well, I feel I must also clarify in my thoughts here that I don't mean at all to say that parenting one child is a breeze or that it doesn't have it's own set of challenges and it's only wild and crazy if you have 2 or more, because that simply isn't the case?

Can you say - ONLY person entertaining your child all day long is YOU - no siblings to break up the activities a bit? Yeah. It's so true. So - I'm with you girls. I'm with you.

Well, my circus act is home now. LG just went down for a late nap and BB is laying on my lap right now looking at me with peace in his eyes because he is being HELD. Yes. This boy likes him some human interaction.

All day and All night.

Bless him.

I've got to plan my trip to Party City now so that I can get my balloons and juggling kit to complete our look next time we head out to a public arena on one of the "amusing days" that we encounter. Yeah. That should make us look official straight from Ringling Brothers!!

10 comments:

Amber said...

Anna has been asking to go to the circus- maybe we'll just come see you? :)

Julie said...

Remember way back when, when you'd call me 20 minutes before leaving the house for storytime to see if "my circus" wanted to join you. :) Welcome dear. I remember it taking me an hour to get out of the house. Then, I too, would perspire as the chaos errupted in my shopping cart. Fun times. Fun times. We moms should win an award if we survive this season of life!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Julie....I have been waiting for the day for you to join this fun way of life for awhile, and although I'm impressed with how you are keeping up on your blog, I love hearing your stories that I completely relate to! I love your comparison to a circus act! Next time, try buying the popcorn deal at Target...you get a popcorn for LG, and a drink for yourself! Unfortunately, Target carts don't have drink holders though, so it's another thing to juggle....hee hee!

Jamie said...

I have to say. I have been there. I once had Little Sis by the shirt as the rest of her was falling out the back end of the cart. I was on the front end and stretched out as far as I could reach. I couldn't pull her up and I couldn't move or she would fall. Thankfully my mom was at the end of the same aisle as we were, I screamed for her help and she came running.

It does actually get easier. The trips to Target arent quite as stressful, but my girls never cease to ask, "Can we get a prize?"

Jamie said...

Okay, I am a blog stalker. The last time I was here your blog looked normal. Now it's all beautiful. I love the new look.

Amber said...

Your background is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh Kara!! You are such a pro at what you do:-) I am just so glad that I have people like you to look up too:-) I have to learn the ends and outs from someone.

I have to say I love your new layout page:-) Looks great.

Kara said...

I am in love with this new background too. I saw my friend Shauna's blog changed backgrounds and I found out how she did it. How fun is that???

Alana said...

Oh yeah. Trips to Target with children are totally relaxing. It does get better. Not all better yet, but better ;-)

Lynn said...

Love the play-by-play. It's amazing how much planning it takes just for a simple Target run. Hang in there!