Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Amish and other News


My nephew Cooper is 6 weeks old today. I wanted to eat him up in this little Etsy outfit. Love, Love, Love it!

I got to hang out with my mom, sis, sister-in-law and Baby Cooper for the weekend to go on our annual Girl's trip to a local Amish Community. We go every Fall and most years we have had one little baby tagging along and this year we had Cooper.

It's such a fun time to hang out and shop and eat and shop and eat some more. I always enjoy being with my momma.

It's all about the tradition and the cultural experience in this little amish town.




We eat at the same Amish restaurant every year too and it is SO yummy. I typically get their traditional home cooked meal, but this year, all of us but mom, got the buffet and let me just tell you - It was some of the best food I've ever had!! I ate things like fried chicken (I never eat this), mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet corn, homemade bread, and THE best homemade beef and noodles I have ever eaten!


Wanna hear the best part? I asked if they would tell me how they made these awesome beef and noodles - and they did!! I purchased some of their homemade noodles and will use them for my first couple of go-arounds. I ultimately would like to learn how to make my own noodles, but for now......


You know I'm gonna post this at The Recipe Box as soon as I make it in the next couple of weeks. I am so excited!!

One of our favorite things to do in Jamesport is go to the Country Store.

We buy a ton of spices and oats and soup mixes and fresh baked goods. All so fresh and so cheap. We love it.
It's like going back in time because they don't use electricity and everything is so simple and primitive. It's definitely an experience.




The trip was so much fun and went by too quickly. I should've taken a picture of the life-size cinnamon rolls that we ate too. Those women know how to cook! Let's not talk about the calories though, and just move on please. :-)

I'm posting more recipes this week over at my recipe blog, so don't forget to keep checking back. I'm getting ready for all this fall cooking I have recipes for. Bring it on!

That was my weekend. What did you do?

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Ahhh....this reminds me of home. I grew up in "Amish country." Looks like a fabulous time.

Jessica said...

I miss living near an amish community. I have to say you look just like your mom. So cute!

Julie said...

I know I'm not part of your family, but somehow next year, I'm sneaking into the back of your car and going with you.

Kelley said...

I'm with Julie, they would hardly notice us! :-)