Monday, October 25, 2010

Is there an ER for a Van?

David and I have some issues in the driving department. I'm not sure when it happened, but we are starting to get an ugly reputation.

I would like to know if we can blame it on "kid brain" that developed about 5 years ago when Little Girl came into our lives.

Can we?

We hit things.

With our van.

Quite a bit.

We actually counted up how many things we have ran into in the last year and it was shocking. Seriously. What is our problem? We may need help.

My family is actually scared of us now, because a couple of years ago while we were camping in Colorado with my family, David backed up the van early, early in the morning and scraped and dented the side of my brother and his wife's very nice Toyota Sienna (which they were getting ready to sell). Lovely.

Then, my parents came to watch the kids while David and I went away on a business/Valentines day trip to Dallas this past year and David was backing out early, early in the morning (sense a pattern?) and side swiped my parents very nice SUV. That's a way to start a romantic getaway.

A couple of years back when we first moved to Indiana, I was looking at the neighborhood where we were going to build our house and I was distracted by the design on the front of the house across the way thinking that I might like to do the same thing to our house. I was backing up when I was staring at their architecture.

I hit my soon to be neighbors mailbox (made of brick) and completely shattered my back window. Me and Little Girl were quite alarmed.

Sigh. Off to the repair shop.

I was recently up at my sister's house who has a long driveway with several obstacles as you back out. None of which anyone else seems to have trouble with. I, on the other hand, rammed into their trailer and it literally cut a slit along my back bumper and dented it in.

We were rear-ended 3 weeks ago on a date night and the guy rammed into us and then when we pulled up a little to get out of the way - HE TOOK OFF! He just added to the look of our rear end damage.

I side swiped David's Echo pulling out of the driveway several months back. Our driveway is super narrow and I didn't even think about his car as I was exciting the garage. Good times.

Last incident was last week. I went outside and noticed this huge hole in my brake light and called David, who was out of town, to ask what in the world HE did to it. Unfortunately, Little Girl piped up in the background and said, "Mommy - you DID hit the trash can yesterday ya know." She was right. And it is the EXACT same height as the hole in my light.

Seriously!!

I am starting to feel concern for the mailboxes, cars and small squirrels that are around me as I exit a perimeter.

Needless to say, my buddy Julie has offered to buy me a really special and sentimental gift for Christmas this year.

She says she is buying me a can of Green Honda Odyssey paint - just in case.

She's a dear.

In other news - I posted some "Good for you Cookies" over at The Recipe Box". We all need something happy to end this tragic post on. Let's eat a cookie.

If you ever think of it, just take a moment to pray for my van. :-)










I think the demise of this vehicle may have started way back when Little Girl and her friend Reagan put coins inside the steering wheel in this post. We've never been the same since.

5 comments:

Laurie H said...

Your next car needs to have a back up sensor that beeps when you get too close to something. They even have cars that have a rear view camera on them where you can see your back bumper and a few feet beyond it!

Julie said...

If I'm ever in a cranky mood I go back and read the coins in the steering wheel blog. Hilarious! As for the van, you know how I feel about you torturing this poor Honda. I mean this in the most loving way but girl you need to learn to back up w/o hitting things. Or invest in a rear camera. Or you could call Honda and tell them that your van has taken a licking and keeps on ticking. Maybe they'll make a commercial out of how durable a Honda is. :) it still runs after being so badly abused. That's a good car.

lindseybreeden1 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lindseybreeden1 said...

Ok so please don't be offended when the next time we come over we park way down the road at a safe distance. LOL Just kidding, but too funny.

Anonymous said...

Now that you mention it, I have the same problem. I hit things with our van too. I think it may have started when Reagan and LG put the coins in your van too! Yes, let's blame our children. I feel much better now! Glad to know I'm not the only one who backs into things!