Monday, November 15, 2010

5K and The Weekend


So, I briefly mentioned the 5K that my hubby and I were running in on Friday night in my last post. It was really fun. It rained off and on, which kind of stunk, but the experience was a good one. I walked the 5K Turkey Trot last year here in town, but I've never ran in a 5K before. I didn't run solid the whole 3 and something miles, but I did run quite a bit of it with a few 1 minute walking breaks in between. David helped me to slow my breathing down when I felt like I was really getting winded and that gave me another few minutes of running time that I didn't think I would have in me. It was fun. I learned that a lot of running is mental and also learning to adjust your body accordingly to get the most out of it. I felt like a 5K was SO small compared to the 2 marathons that my husband had run this year, but for me, it was a lot. And, for the record, NO, my next step is not a half marathon, but thank you for asking. :-)

I even think my mom was impressed, because she used the words, "you're becoming quite an athlete". Which I think is sweet, but also funny. Ha! I wish I was more of an athlete, but we will have to settle for baby steps along the way, like a 5K at 10 p.m. at night at a theme park where your last mile you run through all their insanely awesome Christmas lights and displays and listen to Christmas music.

That was the really fun part.

Oh, and don't tell anybody, but we stopped at Taco Bell at 11:30 at night on our way home and I had a chicken quesadilla and Dave had a few tacos.

We were hungry, and you know how Taco Bell encourages that FOURTH meal and everything.

:-)

I can't remember the last time I have ate T.B. before, (maybe it was with Shannon in Indiana with a certain car horn) but it was pretty satisfying after our night of pain, I mean fun.

My legs have been so sore this weekend that I felt like an old woman. I think my muscles are back in decent order this morning, so I will still be meeting my friend Julie at the gym at 12:00.

Lastly, I went to the store yesterday with Dave and the kids and we just meandered around Target with our coffees and our carts and shopped for a few things we needed.

One thing I was surprised to find was a new Christmas Tree. We have been looking, but we didn't see any that we liked enough to spend a lot of money on. This one was $75 off on sale and it was a perfect 7.5 feet tall (our ceilings are 8 feet). It is super cute and we are glad we snagged it.

We also found Peppermint Chocolate Oreos.

They reminded us a lot of our long lost friends from Trader Joe's. The Candy-Cane Joe Joe's


We ate nearly 2 rows out of the package last night and high-fived each other a couple of times. I am so glad I found them and then I also wish I would've never seen them last night.

It's going to be a long Holiday season at the gym.

Have a great Monday!

Go check out some new recipes for Granola and yogurt parfaits over at The Recipe Box today if you need a new breakfast treat.

1 comment:

The Oswalds said...

Congrats on doing the 5k! I need to find one to do again. Joel & I did a couple several years ago. But we don't live near those now. I will never be the marathon runner, but did enjoy the small races. I would love to do the one you did....Christmas music & all! For now guess I'll keep it in the gym.