Wednesday, January 5, 2011

We're Home!

We got home last night from our fun little getaway trip and it was so great. It was one of those trips where deals were found, great food was eaten, conversation flowed easy, new music was jammed to in the car and loved by both parties, and the weather was great for strolling outside to do a little window shopping. It really was perfect.

Oh, and I got to go to Trader Joe's.....


Hee Hee

And we had dinner at one of our favorite restaurants of all time - Maggiano's.

We had a wonderful dinner and an apple crastada topped with ice cream for dessert. David likes to refer to it as "Christmas in a bite" and yes indeed-y it was.

I also went to Trader Joe's - did I mention that?


And then we shopped. Yay! How I love to shop! I have been so budget stricken lately that it has been a dry dessert of buying anything for the house. I tend to go through withdrawals when this happens. Thankfully, we had been saving and we had Christmas money to add in, so we had a little bit of cash to blow and we were ready with both guns blazin!

Our first store we went to was Anthropologie. I was only going to peruse the home department because most things in this store cost a million dollars in their dollar section. :-) I was hoping to maybe find one treasure of inspiration to purchase to give a little pop to our dining room or kitchen. Well, I found a tablecloth for the dining room and I am in LOVE! It was a total splurge, but it will tie all the colors together for me and I knew I had to have it when I spotted it across the way. I also bought a kitchen towel that has all the colors that I have been WANTING to add in but didn't know how, so it is now my inspiration item that I shall take everywhere with me to try to form some excitement in the room I spend the majority of my day living in.

I then landed on an adorable rug for my kitchen that is the same type of style and it was a mere $34! David made me buy 2 so that I can replace the one when it gets all ratty. Smart man. Guess where I found the rugs.........at Urban Outfitters! It's like a clothing and accessory store that I never go in. Who knew!!! Total Score. I will show some pics of everything later this week.

I also went to Trader Joe's and look at all I got!


I even purchased a few little treats for my Lifegroup girls and Ms. Julie of course. :-)

We rented a movie in our room and watched "Life as we know it" (second time for me). I love this movie!

We ate at Whole Foods both days for lunch. They have the BEST fresh food bars around. We had sushi and chicken satay and pizza and salads and roasted veggies and oh my heavens - so many great things!

It was such a great time to reconnect with the hubs and to enjoy the conversation and fun with the love of my life. Not all 14 years have been total bliss. We have hard times and rough patches and icky seasons just like everyone and I know that we haven't had the last of them. But the cool part is, we both keep trying, keep talking, keep loving, keep committing and that has been one of the greatest gifts. Fourteen years has flown by. We've endured moves, job changes, church changes, living near family, away from family, infertility, adoption, parenthood, more than enough money, not as much as we would like, discovering new talents and hobbies, and relying on God and each other. We laughed with each other constantly while on this trip. Not just laughing, but crack-each-other-up kind of belly laughing that comes with deep love and friendship.

I'm so glad I married my best friend. Plus, he gets cuter and cuter every year.

5 comments:

Laurie H said...

So glad that you and David had a wonderful Anniversary celebration. I also appreciate your honesty about marriage and that through it all, we all need to keep on trying and working at it, all the time. Marriage is not easy...it is work...and when you combine work with prayer it is totally worth the effort and time it takes and . Thanks, Kara for your blog and photos...I just love it, Laurie

The Oswalds said...

Glad you had so much fun! Sounds like you must have been feeling better too! Yay! Enjoy your new treasures. I am sure you will share pics soon :o)

Alana said...

How fun! Will you take me next time? :-) My favorite part about getaways with my husband is time in the car to just talk!

Jamie said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Congrats on 14 years.

Lynn said...

Welcome home and Happy Anniversary!!!! Love the last picture. I <3 TJ's.

BTW, someone just emailed me to ask for your recipe blog. She had been following it and somehow lost the url. Just thought you would want to know! ;o)