Sunday, November 23, 2008

How to define a blog "funk"

How do you know you are in a blog funk?

When you sit and stare at your screen and click on the button that says "new post" but never type anything.

When you actually do write something and then read it back to yourself and say "I'm already bored, better not torture the blogosphere with that nonsense."

When you used to post about every other day and now you are really lucky to get one in a week.

So, it's official people.  I'm in one.  I'm in a blog funk.  I know every blogger has these moments. I know they are to be expected.  I can't even call it "writer's block" because I am definitely not a writer, but my brain does seem to be in a constant state of "vacation" at the moment. 

That can't be good.

I have so much going on around me it seems that it's hard to actually sit, reflect, and take the time to jot "life" down.  I did hear another blogger post it this way, "the less you see me blogging, the more friends and connections I am making and the busier my life is getting in the real world".  So, maybe I am just getting more plugged in to my new life.  Or maybe it's just that my year has finally come to it's climax and I am quite tired.  Wanna read about my year again and get exhausted too? - go here.

I know there is an ebb and flow to this writing out your thoughts thing and so I hope you of my friends who read this will be patient with me as I find my groove again and find my ebb, or is it my flow, or...........well, as I get into the swing again.

No one wants to consistently read a blog that makes you start feeling sorry for that person or feel tired just reading it, so I shall refrain from that route.  Maybe I will do something different with my blog in the new year and it will have a theme or more of a purpose or maybe not. Maybe it will keep just being my thoughts about life and pictures of my kids and that sort of thing.  Can I take a poll?  Are there any people out there left to poll with?? Hello?  Hello! Anybody out there??  Do you like themed blogs that have a central purpose and focus and topics that they strike on or do you like the more organic ones where you feel like you are just sitting back with a friend and hearing about their life and you can dialogue with them about it? I am not sure what I think, so I would love to hear back from you.  The themes I would possibly kick around are politics, karate and crossword puzzles.....

cue the crickets.

I'm totally kidding.  If you know me - you knew from the first one that this was a joke.

Ok.  Maybe some real topics might be me focusing on adoption and being an adoptive mom.  I could also do something geared towards hobbies like gardening, book reviews and how to be a good friend type of thing.

Throw some thoughts my way and maybe I will kick some new ideas around.  For now - the blog will stay the same - interesting, funny, witty and captivating. :-)  I will try to be more diligent about getting posts up more frequently and will re-evaluate my blog style in the new year.

As a wise friend of mine says to me upon her exit.

Deuces.

(Apparently this means "peace out")  

I am so hip it scares me.


15 comments:

Rochelle said...

I prefer blogs that are about what is happening in your life. I use blogs as a way to catch up with my friends since I don't seem to have the time to pick up a phone.

Jamie said...

I am more of the organic type myself. I want to hear from you about your normal life and what's happening everyday. Of course, the adoptive mom things would get me too, I need to learn as much about that as I can.

Anonymous said...

Friend updates for sure! Plus, it seems that writers block would be even worse if you were confined to a theme!

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about your life with the children! You are gifted in making the ordinary, every day happenings in life come alive and seem wonderful. I vote for you getting some extra sleep and no more visits to the ER!! Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving,
Laurie Horanburg

Carrie said...

I love your blog just the way it is!

I am new to this blogging thing and I reread what I have been writing.. and Oh my goodness.. I need to seriously write about some happy stuff.. what I downer I have been! :-)
I hope you have a wonderful Turkey Day...

Christie's Corner said...

You're the only one who can write about Kara's life with authenticity and honesty. That's what I'm most interested in....YOU! :)

Amber said...

Kara~ totally get the blogger block. I struggle too. I use mine as a sounding board so my readers get to be bored sometimes. Sometimes my blogs don't make much sense, sometimes I complain too much! I like blogs best that just lay it out there- tell us what your up too- how your kiddos are. The good and the bad- I like it all! I think its a good way to stay connected to other mom's and see their struggles and triumphs. I'll tune in no matter what you write! (:

The Oswalds said...

Organic. Love seeing pics and hearing the funny things your kids do etc.

The Oswalds said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie said...

My favorite blogs are the ones that are real. Not sugar coated, sticky sweet. Because we know life isn't always that way. I like the blogs that I can relate to as a mother. I like to hear other mother's who have made mistakes and live to tell about them. I like to hear crazy kid stories so I don't feel like the only one going through these things.

You're blog is great and if you just typed French recipes from now on, i'd still read it :)

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

ok...the reason i removed my comment is b/c it posted it twice. silly thing.

Kelley said...

Look at all these comments! See we're all still here. Just waiting for you to get more sleep so we can hear all the "normal" things that go on in your world.

Kara said...

I appreciate all the feed back!! It's good to hear that I don't talk to myself on my computer - at least as of today. :-)

Lynn said...

You are a doll!!! I love blogs where I have no idea what I will find each day....humor, deep thoughts, recipes, or a prayer...pretty much what you've been doing!

Blogging finks don't last forever.