Friday, November 7, 2008

A New Phase

New Phases are exciting and they bring about change and freshness and new experiences, but they are also strange and unfamiliar and I don't always know what to do with myself once I find myself in one.

Little Girl is at a friend's house.

Outside.

Playing.

Without Me.

Just Because.

It's not a playdate. It's not a "let's get to know you" moment with the child's mother.

It's just that she saw her friend outside and she wanted to go be with her. I called the momma and asked if this friend could play and she said "yeah. The kids are all outside. Just walk her over and we will call you when it's dark or we bring them in and you can come get her.

Huh?

Really?

It's not babysitting anymore really. It's not a scheduled event. It's just her over at a friend's house. Like a big girl.

Boo-hoo-hoo.

And

Yay! Yay! Yay!

I can see Little Girl essentially from my front dining room windows because she is in the big field playing with all the kids behind this friend's house and I know there are 2 capable dad's outside too, but the child is 3 after all.

I can't help but keep looking for her. Does she need me? Is she crying? Is everyone watching her like a hawk like I would right now?

Hold on blogging friends - I have to go peek out my front window.....

Ok. Just walked all the way across the street because I didn't see her and one of the dad's yelled that she went inside the friend's house.

Weird.

I feel odd in this role and I am not sure how to embrace it.

I'm going to be an annoying and overprotective mother - I feel it!

:-) Ha!

5 comments:

Amber said...

Oh you brave, brave woman. I am so not ready for that kind of playdate!

susanna said...

I still say "no" to sleepovers. I'm just going to lay that one right out there. Nothing wrong with a little overprotectiveness at age 3. You're all good in my book. :) Sue

Jamie said...

You sound like me. I call it being a "hover mother" (my husband is a pilot) My kids are 5 and 7 and I still like to keep them in sight. Well, except when they are at school, but I have thought about staking out in the parking lot to watch them on the playground.

Natalie K said...

Thats so funny. I remember when Madie wanted to venture into neighbors yards for the first time...I literally went out and bought and taught her how to use a walky talky. It was amazing. She felt freedom, I felt connected and could talk to her in a second. You should try it. If you make it super fun she won't realize it is a secret Mommy control device!

Kara said...

Oh Natalie!!! You are brilliant. I shall shop.