Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Yep - it's another recipe

Let me just start this post out by saying that Baby Boy is apparently not taking a nap today. I know this because it is 3:10 right now and he is standing here next to me trying to grab at my keys and help me type. I put him down like usual, but in all my brilliance, I accidentally left my cell phone in his room and of course, it rang. And - now he is with me - refusing to drift back off to sleep.

Blast!!

So, the initial little dance I did after tucking LG into bed and also BB is now a thing of the past. It doesn't help that the electrician is in the playroom next to us drilling and banging around to install my wonderful can lights into the ceiling.

I am working my way up to healthy eating once again this week and I am determined to get my self back out walking again and back into shape. I've already walked a couple of times this week and I felt great doing it.

But, in an effort to use up already purchased groceries....heh. heh...I am making a recipe I found on a fellow bloggers site (Lynn) and it has been taunting me ever since. So - tonight is going to be Chicken Pot Pie and I am quite excited about it.

Here it is:

Chicken Pie

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
6 TBSP flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 cups cooked, shredded or cubed chicken
2 cups cooked potatoes
1 cup cooked peas
1 cup cooked carrots

Saute onion and celery in butter until soft, add flour, seasoning, and broth. Cook until creamy and thick. Layer chicken in a 9x13" greased baking dish. Add veggies and potatoes. Pour sauce over and mix.

Crust
1 1/2 cups flour (add more if needed)
6 TBSP Crisco
4 TBSP softened butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold water (add more if needed)

Roll out dough and cut into strips to make a lattice pattern on top of casserole. Bake at 350 for 45 min or until crust is brown.

Lynn's shortcut tips...
-I cook the vegetables together (add the peas for the last 5 min), and I use whatever vegetables I have on hand. Potatoes, carrots, and peas are staples around here, but I usually throw in some edimame (soy beans) too since we like them.
-If I don't have Crisco for the crust, I just use more butter and change the amount of flour and/or water to get the consistency I want.
-I don't take the time to roll out the dough. Sometimes I just flatten parts of it in my hands and lay it over the top. Sometimes I grab balls of it and roll it in my hands to make a rope and then lay it on the top. I never take the time to weave the pieces together.

It feels like Fall to me!!

5 comments:

Amber said...

I need a good chicken noodle soup recipe- and none of this "I just throw whatever I have around in a pot and it turns out wonderful" crap either! :) Got a good recipe for that?

Amber said...

do you like how I just custom ordered the recipe I needed from your blog? ;)

Kara said...

Yes Amber - I like how you custom ordered a recipe. Ha! That's so great. Ok. So I always use the recipe on the back of the Reames brand frozen noodles at the grocery store. Here is a recipe I found online that looks pretty similar to that one. Give it a try. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Noodle-Soup/Detail.aspx. Let me know if it's any good!

Amber said...

hey thanks! if I'd known I could custom order recipes I woulda done that at a long time ago! :)

btw- I emailed you about doc but am not sure I have your correct address?

Lynn said...

Woo Hoo!!! Hope you love it as much as we do!