Monday, September 19, 2011

Menu Monday & a trip to the Dr.

We had an eventful weekend of nothing-ness because it rained NON-STOP the entire weekend. Yeah.

I love the rain. Love it. But - I am more of a lay-in-bed-at-night and listen to the rain kind of girl. I like sunshine and cool breezes during the day thankyouverymuch.

So, our big outing was heading to Branson for a few hours and going to Target to purchase the kids some new rainboots in the downpour and then grabbing some pizza on the way home.

We headed to church Sunday morning and then I came home and started making a new recipe that was called "rainy Monday beef stew" and also some home-made rosemary focaccia bread. I have to say I was a little disappointed that this recipe sounded way better than it tasted. It wasn't that it was bad. It was good. It just wasn't something I would make again. I have a beef stew recipe of my mom's that is way better, so I probably should have stuck with a favorite. :-)

We also tried something new for Big Breakfast on Saturday, and they were called Glazed Doughnut Muffins. Don't they just sound amazing?

I have to say that they definitely tasted like a yummy doughnut, but frankly, they weren't all that exciting. They were a little bit dry in my opinion, but they were good and the kids loved them.

I am not whipped up enough about my weekend recipes to share them on the recipe blog, but I hope to have a more successful week in the kitchen.

Here's what I have planned.

Broiled honey-soy salmon and roasted veggies
Baked Ziti with Turkey Sausage and yummy salad (Weight Watcher recipe)
Leftover Spaghetti and Meatballs from freezer from last week. Mmmmm.
Baja Taco Blitz (another weight watchers recipe)

I'm heading up to see my family this weekend for our annual family reunion, so I am also racking my brain to decide what dishes to make for that. I need a main dish and a dessert, so now I shall go and peruse my old faithfuls and see what we can whip up.

I hope you all have a great week.

Oh, and an update on my back is that I went to the Dr. this morning and they are ordering an MRI to have done - hopefully soon. They also wrote me an order to start physical therapy and possibly some massages (Holla!!) to work on my back. It is doing really good, however I am still having lingering pain and not doing any weights back at the gym cuz I'm scared. So, I'm taking it slow. I am going to get out and do a little walk/run with a friend in the morning to see how that feels. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Beth K said...

So I just had to try the glazed donut muffins anyway! They sounded sooooo good! I made them tonight and they turned out amazing! For the batter, I subbed applesauce for the butter and, since you said the muffins were dry, I cut the flour back by 1/3C. They were melt-in-your-mouth moist! I also only put 1 T of butter in the glaze (that was all I had in the fridge) but it still turned out perfectly! Just thought I'd let you know in case you ever wanted to give them a whirl again!

Hope your back is feeling better! Thinking of you and miss the regular recipe posts! :)