Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Blue Room


My son is obsessed with the color BLUE.

He is also obsessed with CARS. Any kind of cars.

And the color BLUE. He really likes it.

I was taking out my little man last night for some Chik-fil-A and then an exciting trip to Walmart. Daddy and Little Girl had a date, so we went off and did our own thing for the evening. Chatty doesn't even describe Baby Boy's ability to talk.....incessantly. He has the gift of gab and there will be a day I will miss his adorable little voice. We had a typical conversation on our way from the store to the car - and this is how it went. There were no breaths in between.

"Oh look Mommy! There's a blue car! Oh, wow. There's another one! I like blue cars. Do you like the color blue Mommy? You do? Me too. I like the color blue. It's my favorite color! Yep. It is. It's my favorite color. There's another one mommy! Another blue car. Wow. I surrrrre do like blue!!"

Ha! And boy does he. From cups to bowls to balloons to shirts to straws - if he can, he wants the BLUE ONE. He has been this way for as far back as I can remember.

His favorite thing to do is play "crash cars" in our hallway and race his cars over the walls and around the living room. It is actually one of my favorite sounds in this house.

SO, what did we feel we needed to theme his room with? Well, the color blue and Cars were a definite priority. Here are some pics of the room in process. We have not installed his new overhead light yet and we have a dark blanket over the window until we get his curtains, so the lighting is poor to say the least.

But here is a glimpse of my boy's new digs.







I made the sign above his bed with just a cheap piece of plywood that I saw in the craft section at Michael's. I spray painted it with green chalkboard paint, and then attached his white letters that I've had forever from Pottery Barn. I intended on making something else underneath it, but I'm still working on it.

The blue toy cabinet is from Target and attached to another white angled bin from Target also. I love this piece and we have attached it to the wall for safety. It holds so much stuff!

The 3 prints by his bed are from a local furniture store and they had them for 50% off on Clearance. I am in love with these!!!

The "dressers" and "nightstand" are tool chests from Sears. My mother-in-law had this idea and they are the most amazing little boy dressers ever. David plans to put a thick piece of board over all the tool chests to give it more of a flat surface. We've seen it done and I think it will work out great.

His lamp is also from a furniture store and it was about $30. It matches the blue colors perfectly.

I bought the various letters to spell "blue car" from Hobby Lobby. I spray painted the black letters and thought it would be fun to mix up the wording with the plaques. What do you think?

The curtains I had ordered from Land of Nod were not what I had hoped they would be in the form of colors, so I sent them back and I'm now trying to find a new solution.

I will be posting more pics once the room is truly completed. I can't wait to finish it and watch Baby Boy enjoy it fully the way I know he will. It's been so fun. The wall color is a soft grey/cream (forgot the name). We like lighter colors on the walls and then let the art and furniture pop against it.

Thanks for letting me share his new room.!

I am making "Skinny Chocolate Chip Cookies" tonight. My friend Cheri brought me some a couple weeks back and I'm now hooked. I will be posting that recipe tonight over at "The Recipe Box". Be watching!

****UPDATE: I just added the recipe to the blog. Go here to check it out!

Have a great day!

4 comments:

The Oswalds said...

Very cute Kara! You did a great job! We recently ordered a navy black out roman shade from pottery barn for Keller's room. I love it! You should check them out. Not sure what you are looking for.

The Oswalds said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly S said...

Hey Kara - It's Kelly - your NC blog stalker - ha! Love the photos of your recent decor--looks fabulous. The photo gallery is awesome. And Michael's room is darling. Lucky boy! I check-in often to see photos of the kids, etc. but don't always comment...sorry :)

Julie said...

Love BB's room!!!! You are so creative. My favorite part is the Blue Car letters. How creative!!