Saturday, March 8, 2008

Traditions, Memories & Saturday mornings

Have you ever seen the show on TLC called "Jon & Kate Plus 8"? Some of you I know are huge fans and some of you are thinking "what crazy people want to sit and watch someone else wrangle their 8 children (6 of them being toddlers) in their free time?" Well - I am addicted to the show and love watching the "memories" she creates with her 8 children every week. She is a bit of a drill sergeant and she can be a bit psychotic "harsh" at times, but she is also quite loving and she is adamant about making fun memories and traditions with her children. By the way - wouldn't you be a drill sergeant too with 8 kids?? :-)

Just a note here: For those of you that saw the above post up on my site for the past 6 hours.....OOPS!!! I started typing this afternoon and left for the day and thought I just minimized it to finish my thoughts later. I went on a minute ago and saw that it actually has been up on my site. That probably was a little confusing for anybody who hopped on to see my thoughts for the day. Enlightening - right? Sorry about that. Ok. Here are the rest of my ramblings thoughts...

I am inspired by these families that make traditions a part of their everyday existence. I have every desire to make traditions for my family, but my planning and forethought get cut short. My sister is the queen of tradition. She is the one who inspired me to do red and green pancakes with birthday candles for Jesus on Christmas morning and the one who celebrates "half" birthdays with her kids, and decorates their room with confetti and balloons on their birthday from the birthday fairy when they wake up. She does up Valentines day and Easter and even all the random holidays with her family to make things "special" and memorable. I want to do that, but sometimes I don't know how to get them going. Can you guys throw out some traditions that you do with your families and share the love with us? Even David is wanting to start some one on one things with Makenna and we need some ideas. I am one of those people that can think of a million ideas, but then the million ideas overwhelm me and I worry that I will choose the wrong one and then I will have started a tradition that I can't break and then I will be jumping all over the map trying new traditions on Makenna and she will be going "how are these traditions if you keep changing them?" Ay Yi Yi!! I need therapy. Anyway - I have nearly deleted this blog 4 times because I know it is a bit boring and I am relying more on the readers of this blog than on my own insight on this one, so thanks for your input.

Spring those clocks ahead tonight people!

8 comments:

Amber said...

We didn't grow up with any really original traditions necessarily. We cut out snowflakes every year and taped them to a wall for Christmas and were allowed to open up ONE present on Christmas Eve. That's really it I think. I have caught the "tradition bug" from Julie B so I am on the look out for some great ones too. I keep waiting for Anna to be old enough to start some of the ones I have heard of. Maybe we will just start them anyway! I love the birthday fairy idea- that is so great! Good luck tradition hunting!

Julie said...

I love traditions. To me, it's just having an excuse to have a great time. I go crazy on holidays and birthdays and probably "over do" them, but the boys love it. Here are some things we do:
1)Valentine's Day-we make homemade cards for grandparents.
2)Celebrate 4th of July for a straight month taking in every firework celebration w/i a 50 mile radius.
3)Pick our own pumpkins in the fall
4)Have 1/2 birthdays
5)Josh takes boys to breakfast every Saturday morning.
Traditions also can be something simple like doing devotions with the kids every night. Just have fun, don't stress and make a big deal out of everything. Kids love your enthusiasm. (I have loads of traditions-I'll think some more and get back to you)

Kara said...

Good ones girls!! I know I need not stress, but it just comes so naturally. :-) Well, I am encouraged by your ideas and I probably actually do WAY more traditions than I realize I do. I started thinking about certain things today and thought "wow - I guess we do quite a bit more than I thought", but they are mainly extended family stuff. I really want some everyday throughout the year here at home things that will make a difference in her life and in her memories with us. Thanks again for all the great ideas!

Alana said...

I wish I would have read the last sentence in your blog post last night! We arrived at church this morning as it was ending!

We're still forming our traditions, but I use a lot of the ones my mom did growing up. Occasionally, though, I realize we've formed a tradition and it wasn't intentional. I think those are the best. It is just we did it for a year or two and it stuck.

Here are a couple that we do.

We wrap and let them open their Christmas PJ's on Christmas Eve. Also, on Christmas Eve we read the Christmas story by candlelight and go around the room everyone picking a Christmas carol to sing.

Christie's Corner said...

I'm with you on this one Kara...not much to offer, but would really like to put some of these into practice!...Especially the ones celebrating the "lesser" holidays like Valentines.

Anonymous said...

I stress about this too.....I want to make Reagan and Riley's childhood full of positive memories and I freak out that I'm not doing enough or being creative or fun enough.....one thing that one of my foster families does with their kids that I thought was a cool idea for when my kids are a little older.....they get their kids all ready for bed, pjs and all, and then as soon as they are tucked in, they yell "FUN RUN" and they all get in the car and go out for ice cream in their pajamas! I think they do it like once every few months to surprise their kids. Now that I think about it, maybe that's not a good one since Reagan doesn't sleep as it is.........

Anonymous said...

Ok, here's another one.....have you ever heard of Heritage Builders? Go to heritagebuilders.com....i've never actually bought the kit but I receive their emails that give you family activities that your kids will remember... Again, it's something for when our kids are a little older, but I print off the ideas and keep them in a folder for the future.

Kara said...

Shannon - Awesome! I will totally go and check out that sight. Thanks for sending that. How fun! Everybody has given me such great ideas. I am just going to start "doing things" and making memories with her every chance I can - no stress. See you soon!