Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Typical Morning

Enjoying peaceful sleep

suddenly awoken at 6:00 a.m. by 3 year old saying "move over mommy" and a pink blanket brushing my face with force.

I roll over to give her room.

She takes my WHOLE pillow.

I am crushed into daddy on my side on his awkwardly fluffy pillow and feel quite uncomfortable.

She falls back asleep.

I sort of do.

At 8:00 a.m. - another alarming jolt that she desires breakfast and she is S-T-A-R-V-I-N-G.

Drag out of bed........very, very groggily.

Tell LG that she needs to take her stinky pull-up off and go potty before we have breakfast.

Lots of screaming. Lots of "I don't want to's"

Me trying to console her AND discipline her in a half awaken state that she doesn't need to scream and she just needs to obey and take her pull-up off.

A while later, a pull-up was removed and a potty commences.

Breakfast is started consisting of cereal and milk; waffles and eggs; yogurt, banana and cereal bar - any of these will do.

I start the coffee pot.

Baby Boy starts crying.

I go to retrieve him from his crib.

He sleeps so good through the night (12 hours) that he has wet through........everything, and the room holds a beautiful scent of urine.

I do a lower body half bathe in the sink with lavender soap. I re-dress him. I come downstairs and make him his bottle.

I feed him his bottle while LG tells me she needs help getting food in her mouth that she has been able to do for at least a year now.

I attempt to assist to avoid....ya know......another meltdown (3 is a tough age. Did I mention?).

Baby Boy burps. LG finishes her breakfast. I wipe them both down.

A show is started for the next half hour of my sanity and quiet.

I drink brewed Starbucks. I eat cereal. I check facebook. I blog.

I look at clock and see either the gym or a shower in my near future.

Day officially starts.

I'm tired already and it's only 9:00 a.m.

Mothering rocks......once I wake up and find my pulse...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kara! Sounds a lot like my life too! Unfortunately, Reagan is going through a phase right now...not wanting to wear anything I put on her....suddenly everything is too small (which it's not), but how do you convince a screaming almost 4-year-old of anything? I thought it was all downhill once they were almost 4, but apparently there are different phases for every age. I'm planning on starting a reward sticker chart as soon as we move into our new house! I can't wait for everything to settle down and be "normal" again! How did you handle all the changes with moving with a 3-year-old?? Any ideas? :-)

The Oswalds said...

It feels good to read that other Mom's have similar mornings to mine. I often wonder if I am just totally lazy, because I haven't accomplished much by 10 or 11. Ahh, sweet moments with our little ones. I know I need to just relax and enjoy these days. They are so few.

Julie said...

Uggghhhh...that sounds like my morning too, except for the pull up part. Greyson refuses to wear one....sleeps in underwear and no accidents! Woo-Hoo! Mornings are hard and I'm not a morning person. We have a rule in the house...be nice to mommy and each other until she's had atleast 1 cup of coffee. :)

Kara said...

Shannon - I love the sticker chart idea and I believe I will steal that. LG needs some incentive for good behavior right now. This just may do it. I am assuming you do a prize after so many stickers?

Jamie said...

Sounds familiar, except I cannot remember that last time either of my kids slept until 8am. Yea, we're early risers around here:(

Lynn said...

This routine sounds vaguely familiar...hmmm.....

Anonymous said...

Yes, gotta have a reward....not sure what yet though.....she really likes dates with daddy, but I may have to think of some smaller rewards, or they may be going on a date every night. let me know if you come up with something good.

Hammocks and High Tea said...

Wow! It's good to read this to know what I'm getting myself into! I'm still in la la land about babies and kids, but I know reality is on my horizon! I need to take my best friend's advice and be as lazy as I can right now because this will probably be the last opportunity for that for many many years!

Christie's Corner said...

You get to sleep in until 8am?!?!? That's so unfair.

Julie said...

Ok...I'm fully aware that I don't blog very often, but you do and this has been like an eternity since you blogged last. Not normal. What's going on? Do the kids have you tied up in a closet? Just writing to say I need a Me-Moddy update.

(of course, I have time to write this but not blog on my very own blog....)

Kara said...

I'm coming back to the blog world. I promise. And Yes - I am aware that 8:00 a.m. is late to the normal world, but to this non-morning person - 8:00 is like sunrise! :-) ha! ha!