I missed most of my work-outs last week due to children having colds and then me having too-tired-itis. It's bad. I hope you guys never catch it. :-)
However, I had met a new neighbor friend a few weeks ago that told me she worked out at my gym too and that she was taking "classes".
I do like the idea of classes when I can go with a friend because well, it just seems less painful and humiliating that way.
She has 5 boys and therefore her options to go and release stress and get physically fit are in the evenings and weekends. She asked me to take a pilates class with her Saturday morning to which I said "sure" because I have done pilates and I like pilates. Pretty much I will try just about anything except for maybe the boxing class (yeah - no thanks) and then of course, you know how I feel about Spinning classes.
So, we headed to the gym, I, with coffee in hand, because it's Saturday and I was sleepy and I hated getting out of bed. Waa Waa Waa.
We get our little mats out and our little rings and our other little contraption I've never used in pilates and then we take our shoes off and start stretching. It's a a 45 minute class and I know I will be hurting about 20 minutes into it, but it will be good.
Well, someone comes in and says that the schedule got mixed up and there is NO PILATES today.
But, she says, WE HAVE YOGA.
IN THE MAIN GYM.
WHERE EVERYONE CAN STARE AT YOU FROM THE CARDIO AREA.
Oh Yeah. That sounds fine I hear myself say. It was better than nothing.
We had some time to spare so we did a little elyptical before the start of our Yoga time.
It started out simple. Light stretching. Rotating of the wrists. Closing our eyes to relax. I'm cool with all of that.
Then the contortions began and the words like "stack one hip on top of the other" were used.
And, "use your praying hands and let your body talk to you".
Yeah - my body is saying "OUCH! Stop hurting me! What did I ever do to you?" and things like that.
After our 30 minutes were over and we looked at each other saying "last time that ever happens", we didn't think that it was all that great of a workout to boot.
Well, Yoga is very weird, BUT, I can barely move my body to type this post. I am sore everywhere. My abs especially are crying out in pain. At least I got that out of the deal.
Next week though - if there is no pilates - there is no me cuz I'm not crazy and I don't like being a tree or pretending to hear ocean sounds coming out of my nose while I am breathing.
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Here at JRA and the Y they offer this new Yoga/Pilates class set to Christian music called Selah. It inflicts great pain. The first time I took it I thought I was having a seizure since all my limbs were shaking so bad. I am sore for days after each session. I can already see a difference in my strength, but it's coming with a price.
Oh and there is no creepy inner-self mumbo jumbo, no releasing your stress into the earth, but it's quite a spiritual experience for me. I PRAY the entire class that God would rescue me or rapture now!
Ok..I'm laughing hysterically at your blog. (and natalie's comment). "Stack one hip on top of the other," what the poo does that even mean??? Oh and picturing the embarrassment of being in awkward positions for the whole gym to watch is also really funny to me....of course, I wasn't the one pretending to be a tree :)
Ok.. that was a funny blog... I was laughing the whole time while reading it!! Have you ever done Zumba? I want to try that, but the only class they have around here is at 4:30 and I work till 5:00 .. bummer!!
I would be mortified to do that in front of the rest of the gym. But believe it or not, Kara, I actually like Yoga! (Even though it is a little wierd - I'll give you that).
Lora Batterson likes Yoga??? I'm sorry. havin' trouble picturing that one. I would've pegged you as the boxing type! :-)
I've never tried Yoga, but I love Pilates!
Sounds like I'll stick to my yoga on the Wii Fit, but it will have to wait until I have the baby. My center of balance is not what it used to be.
Post a Comment