Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Unexpected...


Look what I found in the lid of my egg carton this morning.

Scripture!

Wow.  I was just planning on whipping up some scrambled eggs with turkey bacon and cheese and ended up reading some of God's word with my breakfast as well.  I don't think I've ever seen scripture inside my egg carton before, but leave it to my favorite store of all time to supply these to me - 


They don't just give you monkeys to look for and a prize basket to draw from and yummy samples in the back of chicken sausage on a bun with french fries and some chocolate mint cocoa, and they don't just pass out balloons to your kiddos on your way out the door, and not only do they have a general sunny disposition and will help you with anything you need while smiling, but they give you a little JESUS while you are in the store too??

Oh this is just too much goodness in one grocery store.

But there are other places you can unexpectedly find a little Jesus and His principles for daily living. 

It's in the Kansas City Star Newspaper once a month.

In the Faith section.

With My Sister's beautifully written thoughts for all of us to see.

She submitted some of her writings to the newspaper and was selected to write several "faith" articles once a month for 3 months to be added to the Saturday newspaper.  

If you ask me - they're going to be asking her for more of these articles in the future.  

They're just plain good.

Here's a snippit from her latest article that will be running in the paper on December 19th.

"I saw an advertisement the other day for "maintenance free living".  Although I'm aware that the ad was directed toward seniors, I had to laugh at what I believe is quite a misnomer.  Surely a place like that just doesn't exist, not even in my white-haired future.  My current, crazy life is far from effortless.  My lengthy to-do list reflects all the items I must maintain.  Presently, I must maintain my family's schedule, my checkbook, my car, my health, even the highlight job on my hair.  The level of maintenance varies along with the frequency of upkeep but it's still there demanding  attention from time to time.  I certainly believe my life will always require maintenance no matter my age.  This also includes maintaining my relationship and faith in God....."

If you want to read the rest, you will have to either get the paper on the 19th or hop online for the 2 weeks following her article being published.

God in my egg carton and God in the Kansas City Star.  

I love seeing Him show up in unexpected places - don't you?

3 comments:

Julie said...

Wow. The only surprise I find in my egg carton is some yucky stuff on the eggs that I'm hoping is not what I think it is. I also love your sister's article. She is a great writer.

This blog has made me realize that I need to slow down and look for God in unexpected places. He's everywhere and sometimes I get so busy with the daily things that I have to go looking for him in my devotions when all day he's right here, showing himself in ways that I've missed. Great blog!

Alana said...

How cool about the eggs...strange, but cool! I absolutely LOVE Trader Joes...wish we had one!

I also loved that snippet from your sister's article. Maintenance free living...what a concept.

Lynn said...

Well written post. What a fun surprise to start out your day. I heat TJ's. We had some Indian butter chicken from there for dinner tonight. Yum!