I hurt my back this weekend.
I have chronic back issues and have thrown it into spasms usually a couple of times a year that ultimately put me into a bed-rest state until it works it's way back out and I can function in the real world again.
A sneeze is how it happened nearly 2 years ago and it brought me to my knees and ultimately to the ground on our back deck. I couldn't move because of the seizing pain and my sweet, dear husband who was mowing away at the lawn with his ipod blaring couldn't see his wife as I was flailing my arms for rescue. Meanwhile Little Girl was only 23 months old and inside locked securely in her high chair wondering when her mommy would return.
Well, I ultimately drug myself inside and gave my husband a big "thanks alot" when he walked in looking clueless to my lying on the floor looking quite pathetic with Little Girl running who knows where doing who knows what on the main floor of our home.
A chiropractor was visited. An MRI was done. A result of bulging discs, etc., etc., etc. were found, and I ultimately had 6 weeks of intense therapy on my back including spinal decompression which sounds weird, but felt pretty good.
I haven't had an incident since then and it has been about a year and a half later. I was hoping my back fall-out days were over especially now that I am a mother because - by golly - they don't give us sick days in this profession and limping and gimping or not - that child wants breakfast!!
My parents were in town and we were re-organizing the garage and tossing junk out and doing some major grunt work. I knew my back felt tight and that I should take it easy and I did for the most part. It really started to pull Friday night and mom and I were scheduled for our torture massages (more on that later, but the short story is that it was just a li-ttle bit rough) on Saturday - of which I thought would maybe help a little.
Well, I think it sent me into a major tizzy in the back region, because it started getting worse from then on out. I made it to church Sunday morning, but couldn't carry my children. I stuck Baby Boy in a stroller and had LG push him for me. Now that's livin'!
I made it home, but it seemed to be intensifying in pain and got to the point where I could only lay down and call for my drink and food requests on the couch from my hubby and then for assistance to the bathroom. Oh the joy.
I started a regimen of ibuprofen and my back exercises which I usually try to get in every week anyway, but lacked in the past couple - plus a lot of prayer from family and friends, and I really am feeling a lot better this afternoon. I was able to get BB up the stairs and into bed by myself and I've even made some solo bathroom trips today, and that my friends is some real progress!!
I think I need to track down a chiropractor very soon and get my tail in there, but scheduling with the kiddos is always a fun challenge. David has a busy week with Easter prep at church and is meeting with lights and sound people, so I can't suck all the life out of him all week long, and by golly if nearly every one of my friends is not on a spring break vacation with family for the next 6 days or so. The timing is awesome. Ha!
Well - I am surviving and faring much better than I expected and for that I am so thankful. There may only be one thing to remedy the remainder of the pain.......It starts with a Cinnamon Dulce and ends in a Latte! I may have to make a run after the next dose of Ibuprofen!
Thank you coffee for your constant friendship.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Ouch! Hope you are 100% again soon.
So sorry about your back! Better get to that Chiropractor. From my experience the sooner the better. But i totally get the scheduling babysitting etc.
Oh man- you made my pitiful facebook status of "poor me I have a slight teensy weensy virus and my back kinda is a little ouchy" look really pathetic and whiney. Geez Kara- way to show me up! :)
Glad you are feeling better - it is never easy to be down with little ones running around! If I was closer to you I swear I would bring you that coffee... but that's a really long drive...
Post a Comment