Sunday, April 27, 2008

Manic Monday Recipe Day!

Yes. I have the song sung by who knows who (can't remember) "Just another manic Monday" running through my head right now as I was writing the title.

Please don't be confused. I know that I am typing this out on a Sunday, however Manic SUNDAY Recipe Day did not have the same effect, and I am completely assuming that you gals are hanging out with your families on this lovely Sunday evening and won't be reading this post until tomorrow.

My husband is on the phone right now. Thus the blogging. Thus the "not hanging out with family right now" moment we are having here in this ol' house.

Anyway. Did I mention a recipe or something in my blog title?

Oh Yes. Here are a couple of goodies.

I have become quite fond of the yummy turkey burger and will seek to find any restaurant that can serve me up some yummy bird on a bun and save me some calories! I was given the book The Best Recipe by America's Test Kitchen "Cook's Illustrated" people, and you can pretty much count on everything being fabulous in this cookbook because, well, they have TESTED IT ALL OUT for ya!



I know I have made this recipe for several of my friends, and I am obliged to share it with my blogosphere friends as well. It's for the best Turkey Burger on the planet. Hands down! Not playin' here.

Here it is:

Best Turkey Burgers

Serves 4

1 1/4 lbs 93 percent lean ground turkey
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon vegetable or canola oil

1. Combine ground turkey, cheese, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and mustard in medium bowl until blended. Divide meat into 4 portions. Lightly toss one portion from hand to hand to form a ball, then lightly flatten ball with fingertips into 1-inch-thick patty. Repeat with remaining portions.

2. Heat a large, heavy skillet (preferably cat iron or stainless steel with aluminum core) over medium heat until very hot, 4 to 5 minutes. Swirl oil in pan to coat, then add burgers. Cook over medium heat without moving burgers until bottom side is dark brown and crusted, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn burgers over; continue to cook until bottom side of each is light brown but not yet crusted, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Reduce heat to low, position cover slightly ajar on pan to allow steam to escape, and continue to cook 8 to 10 minutes longer, flipping once if necessary to promote deep browning, or until center is completely opaque yet still juicy. Remove from pan and serve immediately.

Yummy. Seriously, these are worth all the flipping and monitoring and placing things "slightly ajar". Yep. All worth it.

It really isn't as time-consuming as it sounds when I look at all I just typed. Just send hubby downstairs with the kids - ok?

Alright. Now here's a fun recipe to share that I stole off of another blog site. David and I have started our big breakfast Saturdays with Makenna in the spirit of all things traditional and this particular recipe hit the spot this past weekend. Go Here to get the recipe for Sour Cream Waffles. You won't be disappointed. You taste all the cinnamon, cream and yummy vanilla in every bite. Let me know if you give any of these a try. You can also go Here to see some other recipes I posted a month or so ago.

Summer time is coming girls and none of us enjoy cooking quite as much in the heat of July, so give these a whirl before it gets too steamy outside!

Nighty-night

1 comment:

Kristal said...

How can you not know - the Bangles!