Wednesday, January 2, 2008
Apparently - I'm supposed to be very wealthy
Ok, so apparently I'm supposed to be very wealthy because I did some searching on foot today to try to price out some play gyms and music classes for miss Makenna. I knew they were going to be expensive because, after all, we are in New York. But, the amount of money they are asking me to whip out for play time is making me choke a bit. I, of course, asked, as any good Missourian would, "can I pay by the month or on a payment plan?" The answer was "No. You must pay it all upfront." Yikes! When I hear these prices I think to myself, "well, maybe I could just let Makenna tumble around on the couch a little bit and then beat on one of her toys with a wooden spoon every afternoon from 10:00 - 11:00 a.m. and that would count for music and tumbling - am I right? Ok. Not quite the same I guess. I am now comparing the prices and the benefits of each one and deciding which one gives me the most bang for my buck and then I will painfully surrender my grocery money (chuckle. j.k.) to get Makenna into one of these classes. I simply can't sit in this apartment every day and I need to meet some people as well as Makenna needs to make some little friends. I also officially signed up to be a part of the Hudson River Mama's group today as well, and I am awaiting my "approval" of my application. Apparently, since I don't have a local reference to give them, I will have to attend an assigned volunteer-run play group and then if I am not a wack-job I guess, they will then give me a reference from the playgroup so I can become a member. Now, this is not a Christian organization, so this always makes me nervous and will definitely stretch me in the "being a witness - standing on my convictions, but being accepting and loving and being a good friend thing to all people in all walks of life". Pray for me on this one. All I know is one of the events is "Margarita night" for the mommies and all you fellow Missourians know that we don't usually get invited to Margarita Nights every Friday. I do want to get acquainted with the women of this neighborhood and be a part of their lives, so I am asking the Lord to show me how to do this in a very non-judgmental way. Again - pray for me. People are people and everyone in the world needs a friend and needs Jesus. I hopefully can show them both. Ok. well, I am pooped from my day and ready to watch a little Frasier re-runs. Gotta love them. I love you all and thanks again for shooting me your notes and your thoughts. I really do enjoy hearing from you. Sweet dreams.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey Kara - You ARE very brave! Jumping right in (or should I say "out") and looking for friends and outlets. Raising a child in the city is a lifetime of "sticker shock" :) Believe me!! You're doing great with this blog. I love reading it!
Lora Batterson
Post a Comment