Thursday, April 21, 2011

Flowers, Flowers and more Flowers

It is cold today, but that doesn't mean I am unaware that it is Springtime, and Springtime means FLOWERS! I want to plant. I want to purchase. I want to water. I want to stare at their beauty. Yes I do.

After we dropped LG off at school this morning, BB and I decided to skip the gym and go on a walk with the jogging stroller. We headed first up to this little flower nursery up on the corner to do some "window" shopping to get an idea of what flowers we want to hang around the front garage area on our little hooks. (side note: I love being able to WALK to a few places that are close by my house. It gives me just an eensy-weensy taste of the city life we've known in the past where we get to walk everywhere. I miss this, but I love the family life of our town, so I'm getting the best of both worlds on certain things. Not the shopping, but I'm digressing here.)

Anywho. I saw some little mini cascading geraniums that looked just like these


and I am kind of digging them right now. My neighbors down the street had some out last year and I complimented them on their gorgeousness. I may buy 2 hanging baskets once the wind dies down in the next few days, lest they be blown off into oblivion.

I also talked to my sweet neighbor - Mrs. Ipock - who is an elderly widow , and is the busiest little thing I've ever seen. She is always "out with friends" or playing cards or working in her garden. I took BB out to talk to her for a little bit today and she offered cuttings from anything in her garden. She told us we could come over even when she is not home and just take whatever we want. She mentioned how busy her schedule is and we may not catch her. :-) So cute. So, I am seriously excited. I love her peony bushes and some other plants and I've never taken cuttings before, so it is like a garage sale high to me. I'm getting something for FREE! Woo! Hoo! So excited.

We also tore out the huge Pompus grass that was growing in this location in the front of our house.


It gets so tall and crazy that it covers the sidewalk and we can't see when the kids are riding bikes or when we pull the car out. So.......now I just need to figure out what is going in it's place. I want something clean, low maintenance and easy and then just add some annuals around it for color. If anyone has any lovely suggestions for what would work there- I am ALL EARS. I stress about such things.

I am also going to be moving these cement pots that I have had for 100 years and replacing them with something else. I have no idea what. I sat and stared at the selection at Lowe's the other day, but everything looks very non-exciting, so we shall see what we end up with.


Aaaaand, I've got to add something exciting here by our laundry room door. I want some tall tiered thing that I can have draping potato vines and things like that cascading down because I think it needs something with height, but again, I'm at a total loss of what will actually land there. I am hoping to score some things for the house on my next few Neighborhood Garage Sale adventures that will be coming up over the next several weekends. Fingers crossed, people. Fingers crossed.


I hope you all have a lovely evening. I am actually typing this post earlier than dark-thirty in the evening because the kids are running around outside and having fun right behind me and I can collect my thoughts for a moment. It's a lovely thing.

Happy flowers!

Oh, P.S. We are taking a day-trip out with the fam tomorrow, so if we get home at a decent hour tomorrow evening, I will do a post. But if not, wellllll, see you on Monday. :-)

2 comments:

lindseybreeden1 said...

I think those are wave petunia from the hanging basket! I love wave petunias because they are low maintenance and they can cover a large area!!! On a side note...I love to garage sale! Let's go this summer!

Anonymous said...

The shopping show has gift certificates for Garden Adventures Nursery in Nixa if you want me to get you some for half off. You can use up to $50 worth each visit (you'd pay $25). Just thought I'd let you know!