Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Learned Something

Well, I learned something today while watching one of my favorite TLC shows "Jon & Kate Plus 8". I was watching Kate feed her kids pitas and hummus, crab legs and even squid and I thought " are you serious?"

How in the world?

Well, get this.

She renames the food.

She says that she doesn't usually call it what it really is so the kids will want to eat it.

Sooooooooooo.

I made Salmon for dinner tonight. Some amazing Salmon from Trader Joe's I might add.

I decided to cut Little Girl up some and put it on her plate. She walked up to me and asked me, "what's that mommy?" - to which I replied fast on my feet "um. These are monkey bites honey."

I don't know where I got that from, and in fact, David said that sounded a little more disgusting than "salmon", but guess what?

Little girl licked her plate clean with her monkey bites dipped in ketchup, some sweet potatoe fries, some toasted pitas and black bean salsa and a yummy glass of milk.

Oh, parenting is a blissful mix of wisdom, discernment and the ability to outwit your little ones.

Yep - score one for Team Mommy!!

8 comments:

Jamie said...

I love it. But, sorry to say that doesn't work with my oldest. She's wise to me.

Natalie K said...

Great idea. Now you just have to keep a running journal of all the secondary names you give. In two weeks when LG is asking for monkey bites and you have no earthly clue what she wants, you can just turn to your handy dandy notebook! HAHA we do this often like we always call broccoli-trees. And chicken- bock bock. That one is slightly disturbing huh?

Julie said...

I'm gonna have to agree with Hubby about the Monkey bites. Salmon actually sounds better, but hey, it worked. We do that with the boys too. We sometimes trade names too with things they like. Zucchini is cucumbers and shrimp is chicken, just cooked a different way:)

The Oswalds said...

Too funny! I remember seeing the same episode. I have to keep that little trick in mind. I'm with David-Monkey bites sounds worse, but whatever works!:o)

Christie's Corner said...

Whatever it takes, Momma! For Richie, I need to start a glossary of cool names for every single fruit and vegetable!

Amber said...

Oh I will be trying this on a regular basis from now on...

Alana said...

Wow, that is impressive. I'm with Jamie, though. Use it while you can. They start wising up before too long ;-)

Lynn said...

Brilliant!!! Great advice!