Thursday, September 4, 2008

Lovin' this "Mommy to 2" thing

Hi people! I am having my fix right now at the Starbucks in town and having a moment to shoot an update out to everyone. No pictures today - Sorry. But trust me - I will post more soon.

Arkansas has proven to be just as big of an adventure as our lives have already been for this past year. We have had constant rain and vicious storms since we have been here (thank you hurricane Gustav!) and our first night home with little Michael - our power went out at the duplex we are staying at and I had to feed the little man at 3:00 a.m. by the light of my cell phone.

Yeah.

That was super fun.

Our one bathroom started drip, drip, dripping that night and we sprung a little leak. When the power kicked on the next day, our sewer backed up and started coming through the bathroom and filling our second comode area.

Are you kidding me?

Our van started acting weird next and was revving up and down a lot while we were idling and then it stalled on us twice. We took it to a Honda Dealership yesterday and they fixed it for a mere $300. Yes. Because we have so much extra cash for cars right now. Hmmf. Where are the locusts? Where are the locusts? I'm kidding here.

Well, we have survived the craziness and the lack of internet at our duplex, but we are also feeling extremely blessed. Michael is healthy and beautiful and we are all in love with him from head to toe. Just don't ask me how I feel around 12:00, and 2:00 and 3:00 and 4:00 a.m., because this girl gets tired at those times of the night. Michael is not aware of my tiredness, nor does he care. He is extremely partial to being held and cuddled and "being set down in the bassinett" - well, not so much.

Bless him.

Welcome to newborn-land again Kara. Whew! I had forgotten!

I had my first venturing out by myself today. David had a project deadline that he was already in the middle of when we flew out of town, so I dropped him at Starbucks and I headed to Chick-Fil-A for some food and playtime with little girl and then the 3 of us - meaning me and the kiddos - headed to the mall.

Yep - just me and them. Alone. Ahem.

I even tried on clothes - well, I was trying them on until Michael started becoming quite unhappy and wanting to eat and Little girl started slamming herself into the side of the dressing room and falling and then crying because she hurt herself. We crumbled. We bought 3 shirts. We conquered.

You should've seen the looks from people when they asked me how old he was and I said 5 days old.

They always look at my stomach and seem confused.

I lose weight really fast. :-)

7 comments:

Natalie K said...

You could not make up more trauma at the duplex if you tried. Just think maybe you can celebrate a "last" moment. The last time you will ever feed a baby by the light of your cell phone! Ugh! We are jumping up and down excited that you actually made it to the mall and left with a purchase...SUPER WOMEN! Do your new shirts come with capes?

Jamie said...

You brave lady!! Things are bound to get better.

Anonymous said...

Girl I am so proud good for you. I sure hope you had Chick-fil-a in honor of me:-) I am so happy for you guys. Kristin and I are going to the library tomorrow and so wish you were hear to join us. Can't wait till you get back to Indy!!!

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

You should milk that losing weight thing. Just let the people be amazed at your flat stomach and having a tiny infant. I cannot believe all that happened at the duplex. And, I feel your pain about the feedings. I remember getting slightly depressed when everyone else got to go snuggle in bed and I knew I was looking at a mere two hours of sleep before I was up again. Thankfully, as you know, it does get better. Hope you get to go home soon.

Lynn said...

Oh Kara, this is just the update I was hoping for....not hoping for all the craziness that happened at the duplex. Yikes! You just need to get that baby HOME! I am amazed at your mad shopping skills.

Julie said...

So you've been a mommy of 2 and you're already out and about. I told you it would be a breeze for you. But for the rest of us...can you make it look a little harder so we don't feel so bad :)

debbielmassie said...

How fun it was to see you and your new "baby boy" and "little girl". Your life will be all the more blessed. CR will turn 3 at the end of the month and he had a new baby brother "Merrick" at the end of May. Watching the video reminded me of the boys who I do not get to see as often as I like since we do not go to WYoming as much. Enjoy every moment, even though it is so hard to get sleep. That to shall pass and then you get to enjoy all the coos and the fun of a little boy. BLessings and congratulations. We are looking forward to seeing them at the end of October. Debbie Massie