Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Itching to Start my Garden



This is the most likely site for my soon-coming garden. Can you hear the excitement in my voice over the computer keys?

I went to my friend Lindsey's house this week and we started some of our little veggies from seeds.



I've never done this before. She is my guide and I will be bugging her every time I question if I watered them incorrectly. :-) I'm sure she's excited and has no idea what she has gotten herself into by offering to help me.

We planted everything from cucumbers to bell peppers to jalapenos to several kinds of tomatoes. I am going to buy my herbs in May sometime and plant them directly in the garden that way. Here is what I want to plant for these:

Rosemary
Oregano
Basil
Italian Parsley
Thyme
Garlic
Green Onion
& Strawberries - not an herb, but, ya know....

We are planning to do raised beds. This area that is kind of already cut out for a garden has a good foot of shady area as you can see.

So, we are planning on extending the raised bed out further to get maximum sun exposure and then the shady areas can be for a walkway into the garden.
We already have some little sprouts of daffodils peaking up in our soon to be garden.

This makes me kinda happy.

I'm SO ready for Spring!! Our house feels so much smaller in the winter time because we lose all this outdoor square footage to enjoy. We love our backyard and would prefer to kind of live out here in the Spring, Summer and Fall.

If any of you are gardeners out there - feel free to shout out any helpful hints! I have only been a container gardener in the past, so I can't wait to see what this yields!!

Have a great Wednesday! Hope you are Sunny like us on your side of the world.

3 comments:

Erin said...

You are so cute ... you little garden girl, you!

lindseybreeden1 said...

Yeah! I had so much fun planting our seeds. It was good bonding time and a theraputic time of relaxing and digging in the dirt. Your kids are just so darn cute too! MAX and Zoe said to tell them to come back again anytime! So text me as soon as you see your first sprout breaking through the dirt! It is an excited time watch plants grow.

Lynn said...

dill and cilantro are two of my other favorite herbs to have fresh....mint is also nice.